The Sardine Express

It was Saturday morning, around 8:45am.  Between two jobs I had worked twelve hours the previous day.  Sure, I had managed to get a fair amount of sleep on Friday night, but I awoke the next morning feeling a bit drained and even more discouraged that I was on my way to work yet again.  I knew I should be grateful for the extra work and the money that came along with it, but I wasn't.  I just wanted to be free.  I surveyed the scene outside, and it wasn't helping.  A sparkling clear blue sky was present, and I could see all of the mountains crisply in the distance, as if they were part of a Hollywood movie set.  The air was warm, and it had that early-morning feel that I so rarely get to experience since I am normally working during these hours.  Yes, it was about to be a gorgeous day in paradise and I was off to work....again.  Cue the sad music and let the pity party begin.  I trudged down the street with my bike, trying to just take it all in and be grateful.  So far, it wasn't working.  At least the bus stop was right at the end of my street.  The #22 bus would take me to my destination.


The bus arrived at the stop shortly after I did.  I secured my bike to the rack in front of the bus and hopped on board.  I had my ipod on, and the song selection seemed to be right on.  I felt my spirit starting to lift just a bit.  Maybe it wasn't going to be such a bad day after all.  There was a small opening in the cloud hovering over my head, letting a peak of sun hit me.  As the bus traveled down the street, throngs of tourists stood and waited for #22 to take them on the next step in their journey.  Each time the bus halted, the passenger count grew exponentially.  After about three or four quick stops, the bus was already full.  I texted a friend to let him know that I had never been on a bus so crowded before.  I mean, I knew that the final destination of #22 was Hanauma Bay, considered to be one of the best snorkeling spots anywhere.   But this was crazy!  And so early on a Saturday morning.  Oh well.  I tried to relax, listen to my music, and just enjoy being sandwiched between strangers, if that was possible.


I heard a faint voice come over the intercom, so I stopped my music to listen.  Welcome aboard the sardine express, our driver declared.  Laughter erupted.  He went on to explain that we were traveling to Hanauma Bay, but would be stopping at several "touristy" spots along the way.  He assured us that he would be advising when to exit no matter if you were going to the farmers market, Diamond Head, or wherever.  A sense of calm seemed seemed to permeate the space after this friendly announcement.  We would all be taken care of. This bus driver was extending aloha in his own way, and it put everyone at ease.  I contemplated this, and determined that I was supremely happy to live in a place where public transportation could be a pleasure and not a nuisance. 


I took a quick glance around me.  Most of the passengers were dressed in their swimsuits.  Some had back packs, some had snorkeling gear.  Some even had Starbucks cups in their hands, which are not normally allowed on Honolulu buses.  Nearly all of these people had smiles on their faces.  I was surrounded by happy tourists!  A couple of bus stops later, enough people had vacated for a few seats to open up.  I promptly took one near the front.  I looked to my left, and saw a brown labrador service dog.  He was sitting on the seat next to his proud owner, panting and taking it all in through his huge brown lab eyes.  His beard was turning white.  He was probably 7 or 8 years old, I figured.  I reached over and pet his soft brown head.  I felt a smile appear on my face.  I thought about how beautiful this animal was, and how distinguished he looked with his graying beard.  His main purpose on the planet was to serve.  And he certainly seemed OK with that.  We could all learn from this, I decided.  Really, I could learn from this.


The cloud that shrouded my head at the start of this trip had almost completely evaporated by this point.  I sat back and enjoyed the rest of the ride.  Driving along, we passed beautiful green mountains on one side of the bus, and the majestic Pacific ocean on the other.  Lovely.  I was now awake.  In that split-second, I felt as if there was no more time to waste feeling tired or grumpy.  A new day was upon me.  I made the choice to work today.  Deal with it, Paul, I said to myself.  Suddenly I felt as if I could.


The #22 bus stopped across from my final destination.  I exited through the front doors, thanked the driver, and grabbed my bike off the rack.  As I boarded my bike, I felt the sun's heat on my face.  I looked at the ocean that was right beside me.  I relaxed even more.  I stopped at Starbucks for breakfast and had an enjoyable conversation with the barista making my drink.  As I ate my oatcake and drank my americano, I laughed at the course of events that had gotten me to this point.  No matter what else was to come on this day, I would be fine.  Who cared anymore that I had to work for a few hours?  The gratitude that was missing earlier had returned full-force.  I was thankful for my job, and my life.  I felt free and inspired.  And yet again, I did not have to do anything except let go of the clouds in my mind, and of course, the one I had put over my head from the time I woke up.  All I needed to do was let go of the past, let go of the future, and just relax into the moment.  Seems to work every time.  But man, sometimes it is just so hard, isn't it?


Oh Paul, I thought.  You got on board the sardine express this morning.  That magical bus took you to your destination, and somehow transformed a potential disaster of a day into something joyful.  Hmm.  Wait a minute.  Actually, you allowed it to happen.   


Oh, Paul.  Paul, Paul, Paul.  No matter what bus you are on, you can always enjoy the ride.  The magic of the present moment is always at your fingertips.  Don't resist it. 



Comments

maria certo said…
The 'magical mystery tour is coming to take you away, take you away'....
xoxoxo

Popular posts from this blog

Last-Minute Heroics

Last-Day Diaries

Out to Past-ure