An Early Valentine

To:      Paul
From:  Your Heart


I bet you never thought you would get a valentine from yours truly.  But with the 'holiday of hearts' quickly approaching, I figured now was as good a time as any to say thank you.  For what, you might ask? Well, for opening up my world, for starters.  You have been removing the barriers to my vision for quite awhile now, Paul, and I want to let you know how much I appreciate it.  I never wanted to stay boarded up and guarded.  I know you always thought I needed to be protected, but that is not what I am here for.  In fact, I wish someone out there would quit spreading the rumors that what I and all my heart brethren really need is to be locked away from all the hurts of the world.  That is the last thing we need.  It only makes us feel isolated and alone. 


Just like you, hearts long to be free!  Free to love, and free to be exposed for everyone to see.  I don't belong in prison.  I can do so much good for you when I am allowed to be open and guide you every single day.  And I know you are just beginning to see the difference my freedom can make.  Over the years I have noticed you smiling more, laughing more, and relaxing more each time I get to reveal my brilliant light.  When I am present during your days, you seem so much more fulfilled.  When you allow me to participate in conversations, you are truly present and connected.  I know this is what you want, Paul, and I am so pleased that you have given me a chance to shine.


I also know there will be times that you will feel like closing me off to the world again.  Luckily, you will be aware, perhaps more than ever, that this is happening.  I have the power to make you feel my isolation.  You are waking up, Paul.  Actually, we are waking up together!  There is no going back now.  From this point forward, it will become harder and harder to keep me under wraps.  It won't feel quite as safe as it used to.  Truth be told, I might make you sick at times.  Please know that I do not intend any harm in this.  Remember, I am the home for all compassion.  I appreciate your concern for my well-being, but I am stronger than you think.  In fact, when you feel like running and hiding, just remember that I have your back, OK?  You and I, we need each other.   As such, I am never your enemy.  I work for you Paul, not against you.


I have often wondered why it is so hard for a heart like me to find his place in the world.  I mean, I know I am tender and sensitive and all.  But it is precisely those characteristics that make me indispensible to every situation a human like you encounters!  There is so much power in my vulnerability, Paul.  I know you can sense this every time you take the risk and open me up to a new experience.  It will become more obvious to you over time that it is way riskier to keep me hidden than it is to cut me loose and unleash my transformative powers.  Each time you experience the joys of my vision, the thrills of my discoveries, you will feel more alive than ever.  I promise.  No risks there, my friend.  Only guarantees. 


I often smile when I think of Valentine's Day.  People everywhere will eat chocolate versions of me, and give each other candy in my likeness.  It's nice to be so popular, but even I have to admit that it's all a little embarrassing.  I want to assure you, Paul, that getting to know me is what is really important, not just on this "holiday" but every single day.  Keep acknowledging and expanding my presence in this world.  Please know that whenever you overcome your fears and allow me to shine, I will open your eyes to the truth of what life is all about.  Continue to let me breathe, and just watch the beauty unfold.  Trust me.  My freedom is your freedom.

Happy Valentine's Day, Paul.   


PS:  if you are to enjoy a chocolate version of me, may I recommend Dove?

Comments

Rachael said…
I loved it! So true...writen right from the heart. Happy Valentine's Day to all "Noble Hearts".
maria certo said…
Extremely creative expression of feelings of your heart Paul!
Loved it!
My heart's preference is Lexington Chocolate: or See's candies, my heart wavers occasionally:) xoxoxox
Bravo Paul!!
I talk to my soul mind since we have consciously connected, but our heart is what keeps us both alive!

Popular posts from this blog

Last-Minute Heroics

Last-Day Diaries

Out to Past-ure