Lei It On The Line

There are some traditions that just seem right.  And then there are others that, well, let's just say they probably shouldn't have made it past their inaugural proceedings.  Personally, I have never considered myself a traditionalist of any sort.  I was always the kid who thought it was cool that other families were having ham, or even better (or worse?) tofurkey, on Thanksgiving.  Why not change it up a little?  For as much as I love turkey, cranberries and the whole nine, I was especially excited one year when someone introduced me to giblet gravy.  And corn bread stuffing instead of the usual bread crumb/stove top variety.  And then one Easter, I was served eggplant parmiaggiana instead of ham.  Beautiful.  I felt like standing up and applauding. 


I have never really understood why we follow certain traditions and their accompanying rituals.  One particularly crazy tradition that has always escaped me is the whole five-day workweek thing.  I mean, come on already!  Who is responsible for this mess, and why did they ever start it to begin with?  A couple of years ago, I read something online where this (possibly insane) gentleman was campaigning to have a two-day workweek.  Alright, I know what you are thinking.  But this grabbed my attention.  I mean, I think he was joking, and I laughed a hearty laugh when I watched his introductory video.  But inside I took it very seriously.  Crazy or not, this sounded absolutely brilliant to yours truly.  And you know damn well I signed the online petition to get that thing started as soon as possible.  Now, judging by its nonexistence in our current work climate, this is clearly an idea that is way ahead of its time.  So be it.   The whole five-day workweek thing probably seemed a tad rogue when it was first unveiled, too. 

Today, I participated in one tradition that I have really come to enjoy here in Hawaii.  I bought a lei for a friend's birthday.  You know leis, the sometimes-fragrant, always-awesome string of fresh flowers that adorn the necks and shoulders of people who have something particularly wonderful to celebrate.  And maybe sometimes they have nothing to celebrate, except the fact that they can wear this lovely wreath here and have it be considered perfectly acceptable.  This is Hawaii after all, and you never really need a specific reason to spread the aloha. 

The lei is nothing if not a terrific conversation piece.  I routinely see people at my job who show up wearing leis, and I never fail to ask them what the occassion is.  Sometimes it is for a birthday, a last day at work, an anniversary, a vacation,or maybe a friend just gave them one for shits and giggles.   Whatever.   Does it even matter?  Regardless what reason is given, I smile.  It never fails.  Leis make people happy, kind of like balloons make people happy.  They are fresh, bright, and indicative of having something to celebrate.   Oh, and they make for fairly easy sexual innuendos.   Look, I got leid today!  Wow, you got leid five times today! (it is normal to get "leid" more than once).  You get the idea.  Getting leid just makes you smile, and in more ways than you ever thought possible.

I think that is why I enjoy this tradition as much as any I have seen on these islands.  Life should be about celebration, no?  Smile, spread some sunshine, and share your story.  Leis help out in all of these areas.  Near the end of my shift at work today, I was listening to music on my ipod and singing along quite loudly with it while performing some rather mundane tasks.  I began to consider why it is I don't sing more.  I admit, I don't have the greatest, most tuneful singing voice.  But who cares?  It feels so good to sing sometimes, like a celebration of sorts.  Just belting out my favorite song in whatever key I desire can be very therapeutic.  Hmm.  Maybe if I got leid more often, I would feel like singing more often.   (sorry, i couldn't resist that innuendo again..)

But seriously, traditions come and go.  I don't think anyone would argue that the best traditions are the ones that make you happy.   And a tradition does not necessarily have to be a big holiday or life-altering event to be considered ritualistic in some way.  Every single day, I perform countless tasks, sort of akin to rituals, that seem to be done totally unconsciously.  The truth is, each one required me to make a choice.  I chose to get out of bed.  I chose to brush my teeth.  I chose to be at work on time.  I chose to be friendly to customers.  I chose to ride my bike home.  I chose to eat dinner.  I'm choosing to write this post.  And on and on it goes.   In retrospect, nothing I did today (or any other day) was not a choice. 

So did all of my daily rituals bring me joy?  Eh.  Some did, some didn't.  Typical day, most would agree.  But why not strive for more?  I have no idea why I make such a big deal about some of the things I do, as if I cannot change them.  I mean, I have just acknowledged that I chose every single thing I did today.   It follows that if I don't like one of my daily rituals, I simply need to change it.  And it doesn't matter how long I have been practicing any of these either.  Why should time even be a consideration?  Job, home, clothes, attitudes, relationships, whatever.  My life is an ever-evolving collection of traditions, each one subject to continual reinvention.  I don't have to hold tight to anything. 

Just keep in mind that once upon a time, someone decided to alter tradition and have tofu on Thanksgiving instead of turkey.  Notice how the world still continued to spin on its axis.  The least I can do is consider some new alternatives to some of the dying traditions I have been partaking in over the years.  And who knows?  Some of these burgeoning new rituals may even result in getting leid more often. 



 

 

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
in order to get "leid" this week paul, you are going to have to wait till sunday. sorry ! a hawaiian tradition. may day .. lei day ! :)

never stop singing dear -- doing so will not prove or be an indicative that you in fact "got laid." if anything, it simply would be a therapeutic way to indirectly exercise your longs and the vital and most amazing muscles within your face...

Popular posts from this blog

Last-Minute Heroics

Last-Day Diaries

Water, Water Everywhere