Smart-ass!

I am so conflicted. 


I just got a new phone.  A smart phone.  Is it really smart?  Um, I guess.  At least as far as phones go.


The better question is: was this a smart move on my part?  



Right now, that is up for debate.


In a mere two days since this acquisition, I have gone from feeling like a precocious five-year old on Christmas morning who excitedly unwraps his favorite present and then joyfully introduces it to anyone who will listen, to that same five-year old about a week after Christmas has passed and the novelty has worn off.  We all know how that turns out.  Into the toy bin it goes, rarely to be seen or heard from again.  But I can't do that with this phone.  Or can I? 


Even if I did, I think it might be smart enough to escape on its own.


What is this existential crisis I seem to have with technology anyway?  It's not as if I don't come home every day and immediately fire up my laptop.  I guess I don't consider that to be "technology" anymore, it has been around so long. 


Maybe it is because of my age.  In recent weeks, I have witnessed 8-year olds (and younger) using smart phones as if they created the devices themselves.  8 -year olds, I tell you.  They don't have a problem with it.  In fact, they seemed to be enjoying themselves mightily.  So what is my issue? 


I just, well....I don't know exactly.  It is quite possible that this new phone is making me take a cold hard look at how I spend my time, and just how addicted I can get to something that fritters away precious moments of my day.  Sure, it was exciting the first time I posted a picture to Facebook within seconds of taking it.  But somebody please tell me again why that is necessary to begin with? 


I always carry my phone in my pocket.  But now I am a bit worried that something, anything, might damage it.  These smart phones are like those titular critters from the 80's movie "Gremlins", for crying out loud.  There are so many rules to follow!  Don't get them wet.  Don't ever drop them.   Keep them out of the sun.  Don't put them in the microwave, or they will blow up.   Don't feed them after midnight. 


OK, maybe that last one doesn't apply here, but you get the idea. 


And what to make of all these "apps"?  I was excited that this phone had a Navigation system on it, until I remembered that, oh yeah, I don't have a car!  And, I live on an island!  Maybe one day for kicks I will just set it and ride my bike to work with the lilting voice of Mrs. Samsung guiding my way.  It might make things a bit more interesting at 5:30am.  I know, I know.  That app will likely come in handy someday, someway.  Sure.  But I don't really care about apps, at least not unless it is short for appetizers


Mmm.  Appetizers.  See?  That got my attention.   I wish this phone was smart enough to cook me dinner.  Hey, wait a minute.  If there was an app for that, there would never even be a debate about whether to keep it around. 



Now, it hasn't been all bad.  In the past few days, I believe I have actually spent less time on Facebook, and the internet in general, than I did before I had it on my phone.  These are unofficial statistics of course, but it seems like I have been doing more with myself once I am home now that the emails and notifications aren't piling up.  There is really no need to check the computer as soon as I step foot in my apartment anymore.   


True confession:  OK, maybe I still do that.  Alright, fine.  Maybe I should not include the word maybe


I still do it.   What can I say?  Old habits die hard. 


But naturally, as with any new toy, there have been some fun moments.  I made plans to see a movie the other day while laying in the sand at the beach.  I definitely love the camera on it.  And I have been slowly learning how to text with this thing.  Thankfully, it gets easier every day.  That is always a stumbling block for me with new phones.  Texting has to be easy.  I despise talking on the phone (most of the time anyway) and like to do quick hits via text.   Not having a phone I can text message easily with is like being that same aforementioned five-year-old boy on Christmas morning, forced to unwrap his gifts one...little...piece...of...wrapping...paper...at...a...time. 


Painful. 


Honestly, I don't think the phone is the problem. Just like the computer was never the problem, and Facebook itself was never the problem.  Nuh-uh.  I know better than that.  It is more the challenge of staying centered every day, not getting caught up in things that really don't matter (do I really need to look at my Facebook news feed twenty times a day?) and continuing to strive for balance that really concerns me.  On second thought, with or without the phone, that is part of an ongoing struggle anyway.  C'est la vie, folks.  That's life, no matter if my phone happens to be smart or dumb.     



So let the rest of the world do whatever they want with their phones.  Just because I have this phone doesn't mean I have to plug in to everything society throws at me.  It can always go either way, but ultimately I'm in control.  No matter how smart this phone might be, I have to be smarter. 


Place your bets.  Human vs. Android.  Can they coexist in harmony? 



The smart money says yes.  Hey, wait a minute.  There might be a better way to assess the situation.  


Let me check my phone.  I think it might have an app to find out the odds. 











   






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last-Minute Heroics

Last-Day Diaries

Out to Past-ure