Tradewinds of Change

Here i sit, on the most remote land mass in the world, quietly reflecting.  All I keep hearing in my head is that line of the Talking Heads song "Once in a Lifetime" when David Byrne cries out in a shocked voice:

"How did I get here??" 

Two years ago this month, I returned to Oahu to live, to make it my permanent (read: new) home.  What started as an extended vacation to help me figure out what the heck I was doing with my life became something much more.  I realize that this is the way that many people come to call Hawaii home.  But I was never one of those people who dreamed of living in Hawaii.  Never.  I took a trip to Maui in 2007 as a birthday present to myself, but never once thought I would move here.  


Then in 2008, something happened.  I was on a cruise ship, heading to Mexico and enjoying a vacation with some close friends.  Sitting atop the boat, there was nothing but water in every direction.   Just lots and lots of blue water, with clear blue skies above.  The winds were strong, the sun bright.  I was mesmerized.  As we were all chatting away, I was overcome with emotion.  Next thing I knew, I proclaimed that I was going to move to Hawaii.  It sounded like one of those things you say (or at least think) while on vacation--you know, a lark, a product of being relaxed and happy and in brand new surroundings.  Certainly not to be taken too seriously.  Whatever.  Though it sounded crazy, I knew inside that it would happen.  Don't ask me how.  I just felt it. 

And here I am.  Years later.    


Like so many other nights, my evening was spent watching mother nature's spectacular grand finale.   There is some variation on this theme every single night here.  Which is why catching the sunset has been high on my list of daily tasks for nearly the entire time I have lived in Hawaii.  It is free entertainment and never the same, night after night.   (A rarity in Waikiki, to be sure.) 

But its not just the sunset and its myriad hues of blue and orange that make this scene so special.  It's also the gentle winds, the palm trees swaying.  The perfect temperatures.  The smiles on the faces of the tourists, cameras in hand, who line the beach and rock walls every night to bid the day aloha.  The pretty flower leis that are often draped around their necks.  The live Hawaiian music being played at the outdoor restaurants that add a liltingly festive ambiance in the background.   Heck, even the silly, loud Hawaiian shirts people wear don't bother me.  They actually make me smile.  In fact, the whole thing just never gets old.   Ask anyone milling around the beach at sunset, and they will agree.


There is just something in the air here.   


Speaking of the air, a strong wind just blew through my apartment, right on cue.  OK.  I must elaborate on these tradewinds I love so much.  They give me chill bumps sometimes.   I believe it is these winds that contribute mightily to people falling in love with these enchanted islands.  They are just, I don't know....perfect.  Even when they are really strong, I don't mind them.  They keep things clean, fresh, and fragrant.  They keep you from getting too hot.  And they even come accompanied by an occasional spritz of rain, just to keep you on your toes (and to provide some quality rainbows). 

I guess I am never really surprised that I landed here.  But now I think I am even starting to nest a bit.  I bought a bed, which is a very big deal for me as I have not slept on one in about three years.  It just felt like it was time to do it.  So long for now, futons and air mattresses.  There are even paintings and decorations hanging on the walls of my apartment.  Finally.   Yes, suddenly (or not, as I have lived in the same place for 18 months) it looks like I may be staying awhile, instead of like I am ready to call for a U-Haul at any minute.

I consider the California drivers license I still carry around, and am ready this summer to finally trade it in for a Hawaii one.  (I don't drive, which has made it easy to ignore that trip to the DMV.)  I am even planning on changing my phone number from the old 805 California-area code to the 808 of Hawaii.  You know, just to make this thing official.   It is only different by one digit, but its a meaningful one. 

Not ironically, just as I am on the brink of official residency here, I am heading back to the east coast in a few weeks, to revisit the place I called home while growing up.  In a way, I can feel things coming full circle.  In a good way.  

For now, I am content to just sit and appreciate.   Two years have gone by so quickly.  Yet I have no regrets.  Only gratitude--for the experiences I have had, the people I have met, and the happiness that I have known.   I have already learned so much, but somehow it feels like I have just scratched the surface. 

People ask me if I ever take living here for granted.   I can honestly say on most days, I would answer an emphatic "NO".  And I hope I never do, though it is impossible to say what the future holds. 

I think I know how I got here.  I took a chance and listened to that inner voice.   Or maybe I was even gently called here, as if responding to a whisper on the wind.  That seems right, or at least more magical. 

It could happen.  I believe in magic.  In this case, why not? 

And besides, these winds really are something else. 

Comments

Valery said…
Paul, I so agree with everything you said and of course love the way you have verbalized it all! Hawaii does have it's magnetism and is making me consider sacrificing my career to stay here. I signed a lease in a studio, fully decorated it with new furniture, custom curtains, king size bed etc.. (you should come by sometime for a glass of wine or dinner to check out my place) knowing that I was accepted to school back in Atlanta to get my PhD in genetics starting in August. I believe my mind subconsiously had me build a nest so I wouldn't leave Hawaii to go get my PhD in Atlanta.
Christopher said…
PS.

Thanks for the message, it's really nice to hear you're in a good place. I can relate to that settling down thing - I have at least two more moves left in me in the next 6 months and I'm not looking forward. I hope you write about the 20 year, I'll not be attending. At least I can vicariously live through you.

Bon voyage,

CGallon
Rachael said…
So the story starts to unfold- Chapter 1- now the journey back east-flashback....I love it. Peace & love, Rachael

Popular posts from this blog

Last-Minute Heroics

Last-Day Diaries

Out to Past-ure